More recently, Hydrocolloids have found a fit in the personal care industry, where they often replace synthetic chemicals with similar properties. Driven by consumers’ thirst for “all-natural” products, many manufacturers are trying to leverage the long history of hydrocolloids in the food industry for personal care applications.
Hydrocolloids already appear in the ingredients lists of many:
- Haircare products,
- Shower gels,
- Hand sanitizer,
- Body lotion,
- Seaweed gel mask.
P&G launched the Pantene® Nature Fusion hair care collection. Key to the line’s marketing approach is that Nature Fusion products contain a chemically modified version of cassia gum, a hydrocolloid from the seeds of a legume native to India. Pantene scientists found that adding hydroxypropyltrimonium cations to the cassia polysaccharide enhanced its hair-conditioning properties.
Wood pulp or cotton
Thickening, forming films
Lotions, shower gels, toothpaste
Thickening, stabilizing, forming gels and films
Lotions, shampoos, shave gels, toothpaste
Sphingomonas elodea bacteria, found on water lily
Suspending, stabilizing, forming gels and films
Sprayable sunscreens, body washes, toothpaste
Citrus peel, sugar beets
Thickening, skin feel, pH buffering
Lotions, aftershave creams and gels
Xanthomonas campestris bacteria, found on cabbage plants
Thickening, suspending, stabilizing
Lotions, sunscreens, mascara, body washes, toothpastes
- Hydrocolloids help the sunscreen emulsion recover its structure after application, allowing uniform and long-lasting protection from the sun.
- Hydrocolloids also make formulations more aesthetically pleasing.
- Hydrocolloids can help suspend millimeter-sized particulates in exfoliating cleansers or enhance a cleanser’s foaming action.
- They also contribute to the “skin feel” of a cream or lotion.
- Using hydrocolloids is a great way to provide the lubrication that helps keep hair protected from breakage during washing and wet combing
Can't Find Your Application ?!
As one professional and experienced supplier and manufacturer in China,
Our technical sales representatives are able to assist product development and provide texture solutions
in common fields such as baking, dairy, meat and poultry, dressings, sauces, and confectionery.