The Application of Gellan Gum in Vegan Gummies Candy
Gellan Gum in Vegan Gummies Candy
What is Gellan Gum?
In the 1980s, CP Kelco invented a new microbial colloid, gellan gum, which was approved by FDA and European countries for application in food, while China also approved the application of gellan gum as a food additive in food in 1996.
Gellan gum has good gelation effect, compared with traditional gelling agents (such as carrageenan, agar, etc.), adding 0.25% of gellan gum can achieve the gel strength of 1.5% agar and 1% carrageenan.
The main role of gellan gum in vegan gummies candy processing is to give superior texture to the finished product and to shorten the time of starch fondant gel formation.
No.1 Gellan Gum in Acid Gummies Candy
- Gellan gum 0.3%,
- Sodium citrate 0.1%.
- Glucose syrup (DE42) 29.18%,
- Sucrose 30.58%.
- Water 37.09%.
- Citric acid 0.05%
- Dry mix gellan gum, sodium citrate and part of sucrose and disperse in cold water, heat to boiling to dissolve the colloid.
- Add the remaining sucrose and continue heating until all the sucrose is dissolved.
- Add glucose syrup, maintain the material temperature at 80°C, and heat and boil until the solids content is 82.
- Dissolve citric acid in a small amount of water and add it to the solution at the right time.
- Pour into the starch mold and leave it to set at room temperature for 11min, the setting temperature is 63℃, the finished product is firm.
No.2 Gellan Gum in General Starch Gummies Candy
- Gellan gum 0.3%,
- Citric acid 0.4%.
- Glucose syrup(DE42) 28.0%,
- Sucrose 18.1%.
- Water 44.5%.
- Modified starch 6.0%
- Mix all dry ingredients and add to water with sufficient stirring.
- Add glucose syrup and heat to boiling, boil under stirring to above 78°C.
- Add citric acid.
- Mix well and pour into the starch mold, leave it to set for 13min at room temperature, and take off the mold when the internal temperature reaches 44℃.
No.3 Gellan Gum in NEW Starch Gummies Candy
- Gellan gum 0.3%,
- Citric acid 0.6%.
- Glucose syrup (DE42) 28.80%,
- Sucrose 15.43%.
- Water 45.13%.
- Modified starch 6.56%.
- Sodium citrate 0.6%,
- Potassium hydrogen tartrate 0.12%
- Add starch to half of the total amount of water to make a starch slurry.
- Heat the glucose syrup and the remaining water together until boiling, then pour into the above starch slurry.
- Add all kinds of dry ingredients except citric acid and boil to 72℃.
- Add flavor and citric acid under stirring, mix well and pour into starch mould, set for 4min, set at 64°C, dry for 24h and then demould and mix with granulated sugar.
- Overnight at room temperature, packaging.
No.4 Gellan Gum in Vegan Marshmallow
- Glucose syrup (DE42) 35%.
- Sucrose 42%.
- Water 19.45%.
- Compound gum 3.5%,
- Vanillin 0.05%
- Dissolve the compound gum with water, cool it and put it into the mixer;
- Dissolve sucrose and glucose syrup with water, filter, and then continue to boil.
- When the temperature of the sugar solution rises to 118℃, rushing the boiled sugar solution into the mixer, then stirring at medium speed for 1-2min, then change to fast stirring and frothing inflation.
- About 10min later, change to medium speed stirring, put in the spices, mix well, stop stirring;
- Apply some grease on the marble, and sprinkle some mixed powder (powdered sugar: starch = 1:1) on top when shaping to prevent bonding;
- Pour the aerated sugar paste immediately on the marble table to shape, then leave to cool, cut into pieces to form.
Words in the End
There are many other applications of gellan gum in vegan gummies candy, so this article will not list them all. In a word, gellan gum has been used in the confectionery industry for its superior performance.
Our Gellan Gum Products
As one of the most professional gellan gum suppliers and customized solution providers, our products don't stop there; more new products are on the way.
With the mission of providing plant-based gums & stabilizers for a healthier life, Gino Gums & Stabilizers was founded in 2018.
We focus our main attention on various kinds of Plant-Based Hydrocolloids and Stabilizing solutions systems.